Friday, May 12, 2006

A cold open for "Da Vinci?"

Not really -- they're going to show it to the critics, but not until the last minute. But in this article in Slate, Kim Masters explains that not even the exhibitors have seen the movie yet.

"I've never been this close to a release without having someone tell me what they thought," acknowledges a key player in the making of the film. Those big tracking numbers must provide some comfort that audiences will turn out. But another person involved with the picture remembers that the producers of Da Vinci at Imagine Entertainment had very high hopes for Cinderella Man and that turned into a pumpkin. So, until the box office numbers are in, producer Brian Grazer's hair will presumably be standing even straighter on end than usual.

2 comments:

Debra W. Haffner said...

Nell, I'm eager to read your review of the DaVinci Code. I thought it was dreadful -- but it is a national teachable moment on the early Christian church, Jesus, Mary Magdalene, and what's more, sexuality and religion. I've got three blog enteries about what it says to us about sexuality at my blog, http://debrahaffner.blogspot.com

Nell Minow said...

Thanks, Debra. My review is here, and as you can see, I have added a link to your thoughtful comments. What interests me most about the book and movie is the way both show us that millions of people feel a spiritual hunger that is not being met by the expressions of religious belief they grew up with. I hope this becomes a starting point for learning by both worshippers and clergy.