Saturday, April 15, 2006

Feedback on DVD column

I've received three emails from parents of special needs kids who think that the litle girl I wrote about who was watching "Cinderella" in the restaurant was autistic. I wrote back to assure each of them that the first thing I thought of when I saw that family was that the little girl might be a special needs kid and I watched them carefully to make sure that was not the case before deciding to write about them.

Both my father and my husband come from families with special needs children
and I studied developmental psychology in college for a while with the thought
of working with autistic children as a career. I am sorry to have caused some readers and their families any concern, but I do know there is a difference between a family accommodating special needs and one that was so clueless they didn't know how to take advantage of their good health and ability to communicate.

No comments: